Concrete Pad

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanMark

Reaction score
Hi
I would like to pour a concrete pad 4 inches thick on an area 10 feet wide by 12 feet long. How do I calculate how many bags of cement I would need?Do I need to put anything on ground before I pour? I assume I would need some sort of wire mesh to hold it all together. The area is enclosed behind my garden shed and would just be storing my garden tractor there.

Looks like 40 cubic feet of mud, So either (40) bags of 1 cubic foot bags, (30) 1 1/2 cubic bags, or (20) 2 cubic foot bags.

39.5 bags of 90 pound ready mix.

Calcs out to 1.77 yards of concrete.

You get roughly 80 sq ft per yard of concrete at 3.5" or using a 2x4.

What should I have down as base? Do I need to put down anything? typar? before pouring concrete?

Make sure the ground underneath isn't soft or spongy before you pour. You could scrape off the top soil, but don't disturb the sub soil as this will support your pad.

What kind of cement should I use? Can I mix it in wheelbarrow?

Check you prices closely, 90 bags, delivered? mixer rent delivered? Full days work.
3 yard min on a ready mix truck?
Share truck load with neighbor who also needs concrete, sometimes ready mix company will help you find a friend to share with.

Or make an 800 square foot area that needs concrete and buy a full truck. Around here that's about 700 bucks right now.

See if you can find someone in your area that has a volumetric mixing truck. I just did a google search and it looks like there are a couple that go out your way. You will just pay for what you use about 100 bucks per yard. Get a good wheelbarrow to get it back and plan on running. You will also need a helper or two maybe one that has finished before.

39.5 bags of 90 pound ready mix.

Calcs out to 1.77 yards of concrete.

You get roughly 80 sq ft per yard of concrete at 3.5" or using a 2x4.

For a 4" Slab:
Number of 40 lb. bags:

Number of 50 lb. bags:

Number of 60 lb. bags:

Number of 80 lb. Bags: 68

Found this on internet

You are correct. I either fat fingered it or calced wrong but in 90 pound bags it would be 59 bags

See if you can find someone in your area that has a volumetric mixing truck. I just did a google search and it looks like there are a couple that go out your way. You will just pay for what you use about 100 bucks per yard. Get a good wheelbarrow to get it back and plan on running. You will also need a helper or two maybe one that has finished before.

I got a quote of $180 per metric ton? (canadian) Told him I needed 1.5 yards and he said it would be $430 Being its on far corner of my yard and I have to do this alone,think its best I just get bags of concrete and mix it myself.

Back