Leaking Trap Taking Me Down

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acolic

Reaction score
Help

The swivel trap under my sink is winning the battle.

It’s slowly leaking at the nut after use.

I have taken the trap apart, cleaned everything and tightened it and it is still leaking.

I have purchased a new nut and washer and replaced those two parts and it is still leaking.

It does not leak while the faucet is on but a few minutes after the faucet is shut off a small drip will start from the nut area.

View attachment IMG_2266.jpg

There has to be a simple explanation / solution.

Appreciate the help.

Alex

Do the two parts line up without binding before you tighten the nut?

Hi

I believe so.

Why would it only leak after the faucet is shut off?

The circled joint is a union and mates directly to the elbow, without a washer.

Are you sure? I have bought two and they both had clear plastic washers are.

It sounds like the two pieces are not mating up exactly, so when you tighten the nut, it can't draw the seating surfaces completely together. Is this a new set up or has worked o.k. in the past? Maybe check for sllight debris or maybe damage on the seating surfaces?

Are you sure? I have bought two and they both had clear plastic washers are.

Interesting!

I took another look at the photo and it appears that you do not have a union P trap, and instead, a slip joint trap, so if there is any misalignment the washer will become deformed and while the leak is not apparent under forced flow, becomes apparent when the flow is relaxed.

There are a couple of thing you could try, with the washer in place wrap a couple of tuns of teflon tape around the washer, or apply some teflon pipe joint compound to the washer.

Can you post a photo of the sink waste line above the trap?

I used to use those adjustable p-traps but i found that they have a tendency to leak at the nut just like you described .
A cheap fix undo the nut, brush on some abs glue and quickly tighten. this will make it so that you can not open the nut, but it will stop the leak .

Back