Tape & mud

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dthornton

inspector gadget
Reaction score
I'm renovating a 120 year old house, and have a few questions I need help with. We're replacing the plaster/lath on the walls. One ceiling has wallpaper that we want to keep. Being old, and over brittle plaster, I don't want to
try to peel it back any, I can't get replacement. So, how do I tape/mud the wall,ceiling juncture without harming the paper on the ceiling? When I built the new bathroom I put backer board around the tub walls and then used
plastic shower walls. The backer board extends a couple of inches past the tub/shower surround and I plan to run a vertical row of ceramic tile for a border. The backer board butts up to the sheet rock. I use paper tape on the
sheet rock seams, and fiberglass mesh on the backer board seams. Question is; what should I do on the seam where the backer meets the sheet rock? I don't think tape works for backer, but the mesh is a bit thick to use over sheet
rock. So, which way do I go? Thanks guys!

Here are some ideas:

1. Ceiling -- Have you considered crown mold to hide the intersection of the wallpaper and the new wallboard? Even a thin mold would be sufficient. Just tape up to the ceiling, mud it, then apply the crown mold at the intersection for a clean line.

2. Bath walls -- Use the mesh tape for the intersection of backer board and wallboard. It it thicker but also stronger. Paper tape is too weak and does not adhere as well to the backer. Apply thinset as needed then grout the gap for a finished look.

Have fun! :)

Thanks, Villa! I appreciate the advice. Should I caulk the gap first, before I put up the molding?

I would to get rid of a possible air leak into the attic.

U R welcome dthornton . . . Yes, I'd lightly mud & tape the gap, not caulk. Stops air infiltration and (maybe) bugs. Glad you liked the solution. :D

Back