Wet floors, no water pressure

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrotdr

Reaction score
I walked into my father's home yesterday (unoccupied at the moment, hadn't been there for over a month) and the carpets and floors were wet in half of the house. There is no water pressure. The A/C was running but not cooling (left it set on 80). No evidence of busted water heater or pipe. Plumber told me on the phone the A/C could have backed up, overflowed, and somehow cut water pressure? Can't get an expert out there yet. Can the A/C mess the plumbing up like that? I turned it off, opened the windows. Need to go back, pull carpets, etc., and get a plumber and A/C guy out there.

Any ideas?

Oh Yeah---years ago he had some pipes break under the slab and had tunnels dug, and all redone. Could be a recurrence?

Last edited:
If your father had a leak sensing water shut off install the a/c backing up mak have tripped it. That would be the only way I know of where a water leak could shut off the water unless a pipe was completely broken and cut off the water path

Without more information I can't tell you anything from here but I would say that you should get someone there ASAP to find out what is going on...

Oh Yeah---years ago he had some pipes break under the slab and had tunnels dug, and all redone. Could be a recurrence?
The first thing that came to mind was this before I even got down to the part where you said it already happened. With all the faucets shut off, You can go to the meter and see if the needle is turning. If it is then you have a leak.

The first thing that came to mind was this before I even got down to the part where you said it already happened. With all the faucets shut off, You can go to the meter and see if the needle is turning. If it is then you have a leak.

Good idea! It's water problems that are so scary and it seems to get real messy quick. Anyone have any information on NYC plumbing? Thanks for the article/idea.

Turns out the neighbor had shut the water off some days before when he saw water coming out of the house...he just didn't tell me. I pipe had burst behind one of the bathtubs, and the other side of the wall was behind a kitchen cabinet. The plumber turned the water on and listened around until he heard the telltale sound of the water shooting out of a pipe.

Pulled the carpets, knocked some sheetrock out, and cleanup continues!

Back