Pilot Light Will Not Stay On

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randy moore II

Reaction score
I recently light my pilot light on my furnace and had difficulty getting it to light. So, I replaced the thermocouple and this helped. But now, when the furnace cycles off, it blows out the pilot light. I can go back and light the pilot and its good for one cycle then gets blown out. I'm not sure how to proceed. Any ideas?

Check to be sure somthing like corrosion isn't plugging up the pilot hole...

clean pilot assembly:

1 turn off gas valve and remove pilot tube from pilot assembly(you might have to remove assembly from the furnace to make this easier)

2 there will be a pilot orifice in the pilot that you will find after removing the pilot tube.

3 use compressed air to clean any debris from orifice and the pilot itself.(DO NOT STICK FOREIGN OBJECTS INTO ORIFICE TO CLEAN, IT WILL DAMAGE IT)

4 reassemble and relight pilot and cycle furnace

if the problem continues call a certified service tech. there are a few other reasons that pilots will blow out after a cycle including: gas valve, cracked heat exchanger, insufficient combustion air and so on.

Back