Relocating Toilet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjgale

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum and I need some advise. I have just gutted the bathroom in a 1920's home and I would like to relocate the toilet to the opposite comer of the room. Also I need to update all the drain, waste and vent piping to ABS. I am a pretty experienced in remodeling older homes but have never addressed DWV issues. Any thoughts or tips?
Thanks

Hey and welcome to the site. Folks here have answers to nearly every question, except the Power Ball numbers.

You should post a pic so we can see the floor framing. Your challenge will be routing the waste line while not destroying your structure. You also want to minimize the number of turns so the toilet flow rate is maintained.

In a house that old, you probably have cast iron pipes which need cutting. (see pic below) You can rent a snapper or you can do it by brute determination with an angle grinder. Reconnecting to your new ABS using no-hub bands is easy.

You already have a vent pipe but the new toilet location (farther away) might require another vent location. It might be possible to use an existing on that wall ... just angle over and connect.

The proper fitting are critical. Use a toilet sweep, not a 90 degree bend. Install the closet pipe much higher than the finish floor so you can properly locate the final position for the closet flange. This write up might be helpful:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/step/0,,250406,00.html

I hope other guys will chime in on your question. Knowing them, once the hangover wears off, they will start chattering ... :D

TOILET 1.jpg

I appreciate the reply and good advise! I'm going under the house in a bit so I'll post up some pictures of what I got going on down there. Thanks again.

Include a pic inside the room showing the flooring and structure.

In case you are no fmailiar with these connectors, here is the site for FERNCO products ... They make waste line connections (and a lot of plumbing) easier to cut and reconnect. Your main waste and vent connection (the previous pic I posted) can be chopped (above and below) then easily reconnected using these porducts ... minimal glue, no hassle.

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexible-couplings

FERNCO.jpg

Last edited:
Again thanks, I just took a look under the house and it is a total mess under there...there is only about 18 inches of room between the bottom of the joists and the dirt. The main sewer line runs horizontally under the bathroom and right now there is just about 10" of ABS running from the toilet flange which is jammed into an old cast iron hub. Crazy! I may have to rethink what I do here. I suppose I could tear up the subfloor and tie in somewhere further downstream. I may have to consult a plumbing pro to check it out. I love old houses! : /

You have your hands full ... Not the least is excavating the dirt so you can get to what needs fixing. Relocating is fine in principle but remember the code-required fall line ... 1/4" per foot or 1" in four feet.

You should use the existing cast but chop it off below the knuckle then reconnect using an ABS fitting with FERNCO connectors.

ABS.jpg

Yes that sounds like the right option. I'm going to demo the floor tomorrow to gain some better access and then I will get some help from a plumber to tie it all in.

Post pics as you go ... could be very helpful to other people looking to tackle their problems...

Latest posts

Back