Does anyone know what this is called and what it does

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handytuli

Reaction score
b190efcc0eeb81361d1fd8e4bdb29f8e.jpg

Welcome to the site,
I can offer a guess, if you have two pipes, one to each side of the tub, this might be used to make both pipes the same length.

Looks like some sort of radiator to me but not any sort of efficient one.

I think Chris is right. Most tubs have a method of insulating the bulk water to stay warm, but have service area without insulation to get at pumps and such that need to be heated to prevent freezing. In my tub when the heater stops working the tub will go into survival mode and use the hot water in the tub to prevent the pumps from freezing by slowly moving water around. I don’t know for sure how this tub works, where it is located or what kind of tub it is. The OP hasn’t given a lot of information.

My guess is it is for heating something.

I think Chris is right. Most tubs have a method of insulating the bulk water to stay warm, but have service area without insulation to get at pumps and such that need to be heated to prevent freezing. In my tub when the heater stops working the tub will go into survival mode and use the hot water in the tub to prevent the pumps from freezing by slowly moving water around. I don’t know for sure how this tub works, where it is located or what kind of tub it is. The OP hasn’t given a lot of information.

My guess is it is for heating something.

phoenix spas lx-2020

It is called a Hartford loop and I guess it equalizes pressures for your jets. You can Google it for more info.

I did some more looking and it was originally made for boiler systems and is actually made to keep water in the heater if you get a leak so it doesn't make steam or a bomb or in your case cause a fire from heating without water in the system.

Big time

A tech from the above mentioned site told me to just remove it and by pass cuz he has never seen it do it must be nothing! ! !

Back