Replaced outlet , no power to actual receptacles

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sf49168

Reaction score
Hello , so I found that my gfi outlet reset button someone broke and sprig was showing , there is also another outlet connected this one ... I figured changing the initial broken one would fix it , however for some reason I am not getting power to actual outlets

The indicator on the new outlet is green so I thought that means all is good to go until I plug something in and doesn't work. The new outlet will not let me press test button in ... Instructions were little confusing and someone said on google there should not be a list at 1st. All seems to be wired correctly just don't know what issue is now. Any help
Is GREATLY appreciated.

Here is a pic of new plug View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1446776763.444473.jpg

Yes , did exactly how it was , even checked YouTube. Stil no actual power to receptacle

Not sure how they are wired inside, I would think you need a neutral to have the green light, try loosing the ground and see if the light is still on, if not you would have a problem with the neutral.
We are assuming it was wired right and working with the old one. Check the lables and make sure line and load are in the same place on both outlets.

There is a neutral grounded , I even swapped black wires just incase and light went read so I know it's hooked up correct .

As you can see I'm no electrician , but How could just a neutral cause an issue out of no where ? By removing ,that could make power go to receptacles ??

Insert confused look here .....

One button is test the other is reset. Sounds like the test button has been pushed and now you have to push the reset button and the outlet should work and also the ones downstream.

When you switch the black wires you also have to switch the whites, they have to be paired. I think you have the line wires on the load terminals

Hello , so I found that my gfi outlet reset button someone broke and sprig was showing , there is also another outlet connected this one ... I figured changing the initial broken one would fix it , however for some reason I am not getting power to actual outlets

The indicator on the new outlet is green so I thought that means all is good to go until I plug something in and doesn't work. The new outlet will not let me press test button in ... Instructions were little confusing and someone said on google there should not be a list at 1st. All seems to be wired correctly just don't know what issue is now. Any help
Is GREATLY appreciated.

Here is a pic of new plug View attachment 10216

I'm surprised that no one has told you to disconnect the recepticle and using a VOM or a simple voltage tester, find the hot pair.

If you can only determine that you have 120V by testing between the black wire and ground, you have an open neutral and the "correctly wired" indicator is false and may have something to do with how the ground in the service panel is connected.

When you have determined that you have a hot pair you can proceed with the wiring.

Disconnect the load wires (downstream) and see if the GFCI outlet behaves. Then we can trace the problem a little better. if you can, pull the outlet out of the box and take a pic of the wires and post it here.

Thanks all. Turns out gfi was factory tripped so when I hooked up it should be red light than needs a reset. I though green meant good

Finally corrected it.

Back