Need some advice

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_brio

Reaction score
My wife and I own a small 1 bedroom condo. The unit currently has an under-counter euro style washer/dryer combo unit in the kitchen. Anyone who has had any experiences with these things knows that they are complete garbage. Anyway, the building has a laundry room and we do our laundry there. Our issue is that we are planning to move and rent out the condo. I don't want to rent the condo with the washer/dryer combo unit in it because it will be nothing but a headache. Even when it works it doesn't work well and I think it is probably better to just tell the new tenant that they will have to do laundry downstairs in the laundry room rather than to rent the unit as having a washer/dryer. I'd like to take the washer/dryer unit out of the condo and put something else in the space. We already have a washing machine so I don't need another one of those. I was thinking about a wine cooler or an additional ice machine/cold storage or freezer unit. From what I can tell, however, these things are also likely to cause me repair headaches. I'm not sure if it is a good idea to put a new cabinet there.... we probably will buy a new euro-style washer/dryer unit when we are finally able to sell the place so that it has a warranty and the new buyer can find out for themselves how much they suck. Anyone have any thoughts on what to do with the space?

Depends on how big the space is. I like the idea of a wine rack keeps the construction pretty simple. I also think that the cabinet can be a good idea becuase new home owners will never mind the extra space to store their things in. You can also make it into a closet ? or some sort of storage unit like that. In my opinion going with the cabinet is the best choice. Hope that helps a little

Well, a closet won't really work since it is an under-counter unit. It is the size of a dishwasher (and we already have a dishwasher). I don't really know how much value a wine cooler adds though.

Is it possible to get cabinet space installed there that will match the existing? That would be the best option probably.... but as I said before, I think that buying a new washer/dryer for the space when I sell the place will probably be necessary.

With a little research you may be able to find the company that supplied the cupboard for the condo, if not you should be able to find a custom cabinet shop that could match what you have. The wine fridge may be just as cheap and I have seen a little deep freeze with front door that would fit that space although not cheep.
http://www.coolrunninghs.com/scff552d.html

Mmm, how about a dishwasher? It is very useful and although I'm not sure how much it costs, marketing it would be quite easy no?

My wife and I own a small 1 bedroom condo. The unit currently has an under-counter euro style washer/dryer combo unit in the kitchen. Anyone who has had any experiences with these things knows that they are complete garbage. Anyway, the building has a laundry room and we do our laundry there. Our issue is that we are planning to move and rent out the condo. I don't want to rent the condo with the washer/dryer combo unit in it because it will be nothing but a headache. Even when it works it doesn't work well and I think it is probably better to just tell the new tenant that they will have to do laundry downstairs in the laundry room rather than to rent the unit as having a washer/dryer. I'd like to take the washer/dryer unit out of the condo and put something else in the space. We already have a washing machine so I don't need another one of those. I was thinking about a wine cooler or an additional ice machine/cold storage or freezer unit. From what I can tell, however, these things are also likely to cause me repair headaches. I'm not sure if it is a good idea to put a new cabinet there.... we probably will buy a new euro-style washer/dryer unit when we are finally able to sell the place so that it has a warranty and the new buyer can find out for themselves how much they suck. Anyone have any thoughts on what to do with the space?

We used a small playroom for our kids - or pets

Perfect location for a hamster (or cat) cage.

Yeah I think the cabinet adds the most value. I am sure you can get a cabinet installed that matches your kitchen. Are you planning on remodeling that area by yourself or are you going to hire someone?

No remodeling is needed. The condo was a gut rehab 5 yrs ago. I just will have a hole there and need to put something to fill it. To whoever recommended the dishwasher.... we already have one in there. Don't need two haha.

Anyone have an idea of how much the cabinet solution will be vs. the wine cooler? I am leaning towards the wine cooler or freezer drawer because I don't want to have to tear out the cabinet in a couple years to re-install a washer/dryer combo.

I'm not sure that I made this clear in the first post (some of the answers here are way off base such as "small playroom for the kids")

1. I have a euro style washer/dryer combo in the space now. It is an under-counter unit the size of a dishwasher.
2. This type of machine works like crap. They frequently break down and don't work well even when new.
3. If I leave it there and rent the condo out, my tenant will try to use it and I will get unending calls about it not working and it needs to be repaired etc. (Yes, these things suck that bad)
4. I want to put something else in the space temporarily until I plan the sell the unit
5. When I go to sell the unit I am going to buy a new euro style washer dryer to go in this space. Yes, the same thing I am removing from the space now. I know they completely suck but I need a washer/dryer in there to be able to sell the unit. There is no space for any other type of washer/dryer. Whatever I buy will not be my problem after I sell the place.

Thanks for the help so far.

Why not go with a pull-out trash can holder, with a new door to match the others in the kitchen. Not too expensive in the big box stores, and certainly would add value and practicality to the place.

hmm, yeah, a cabinet is probably the most suitable in that space.. As I was imagining how it looks like, I think you can customize a cabinet where you can move all the utensils and small kitchen appliances that you are not using on a daily basis.. perhaps, you can make it just a storage, since it's in the kitchen. Did that make sense? Hope so...

BridgeMan, I really like your idea of a pull-out trash can holder seems like a perfect fit to the area described. Just from experience with the prices I have found I think that it would be a little bit more expensive to have the wine cooler installed. I dont know how fancy you want it or how nice you want your cabinet. You can find both of them for a relatively good prices, just depends on how you want it to look.

Back