Water pressure question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parrothead

Reaction score
Hi all. My house is on a shared well, and the pump is on a neighbor's property. When I run my wash machine or toilet, there is a significant drop in water pressure. Is there a way to raise the pressure in my home? An inline pump, perhaps, or some other way?

Need to know what sized line you have for the main, and supplys.
Do you have your own pressure tank?
What type pipes do you have?

If your pipes are large enough, a booster pump might be the answer. Turning up the pressure at the pressure switch might be a big help too. Do you know what kind of pump they have? Submersible or Jet?

Pressure systems on a well will normally have a pressure drop when you use water. Pump has a cut in and a cut out setting. You need to verify what those settings are and work form there.

Need to know what sized line you have for the main, and supplys.
Do you have your own pressure tank?
What type pipes do you have?

Main, 3/4". Otherwise 1/2". All copper but due to a basement renovation project I am probably going to have to reroute some pipes, and when I do , I will use PEX tubing. I do not have a pressure tank. The only one is at the neighbor's house where the well is. The well serves three homes, and is a submersible pump.

The first thing you need to determine is where the problem is. You need to verify the pressures at the pump. If the pressure is low at the pump there is no sense in looking for problems in your house.

Ok I will get with the neighbor to look at the pressure tank. How much pressure should there be? The well serves three homes.

Typical hi-lo pressures should be in the range of 20-40 or 30-50.

Adding a bladder tank will only momentarily give you better pressure. Then it's up to your plumbing and piping along with the pump to keep up with your usage.

Back