bathtub clog from construction

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

130munch

Reaction score
I just had someone redo my bathroom floor & install a new piece of drywall behind the sink as well as install a new toilet & sink.

They were using my bathtub to fill bucket up to mix the flooring stuff and I think they used it to drain some contencts of their buckets. Now my tub drains so slow that when you take a shower you are standing in 3-4 inches of water.

My favorite home remedy that has worked in the past, baking soda & vinegar followed by boiling water, does not do the trick. I hate using "draino" type stuff, because if they don't release the clog you have chemical remnants coming back up w/water that won't drain.

Any suggestions on how to clear the clog, which has to be remnants of the construction products they were using?

If you have a wet/dry vaccuum cleaner, the very first thing I'd try is to try vaccuuming out that drain. It might not be thin set in there at all; it might be a small piece of tile or some tile spacers or something.

If you live near an auto wrecker, I'd get a speedometer cable core and put it in an electric drill and use that as a snake to see if you can dislodge the obstruction, then try vaccuuming again.

How about calling a drain cleaning pro?
Sounds like a bit of grout and drywall mud maybe involved.
Been there done that I don't anticipate good results for the amateur.

Back