Found dryer vents to attic

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccdad

Reaction score
I just closed on my home and was up in the attic checking things out and found the dryer vents directly into the attic. Is this a concern? Dryer is electric. I have a few things to fix in the house and wondering where on my list I should put this. Also found the dryer goes from standard dryer vent size at the wall reduced to three inch galvanized pipe. This is one of a few surprises I have found that my inspector did not.

Welcome to the site and congrats on the house.
This wants to be fairly high on the list of things to do. Whats the closest you could run a 4" straight thru a wall to the outside.

Mine has been vented to the attic for 35 years with no problem. No moisture or mold. If you live so far north that the water vapor might freeze, then that would be a problem.

Mine has been vented to the attic for 35 years with no problem. No moisture or mold. If you live so far north that the water vapor might freeze, then that would be a problem.

You may have been lucky enough that the airflow in the attic is removing a lot of moisture, but the filter on the dryer does not do a good job of stopping all the lint so you will have a fire hazard in the attic. And if you ever have any water introduced into the attic like a small roof leak this stuff will mold up so fast it will make your head spin.

I moved into a house once where the vent ran into a crawl space and was supposed to continue outside of the house but had become disconnected. That crawl space was full of lint. The reason I looked at it in the first place was on cold (this was in Minnesota) days the windows on one side of the house were full of condensation... I'd fix that immediately for reasons above plus the moisture issue.

Back