Blistering Hot Water In The Shower

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vevelynb

Reaction score
I have installed a new tub and had a plumber install new taps. They are Moen. They are supposed to be pressure balanced. When the toilet flushes, we get only hot water. I went to the hardware store and got a new insert thinking that may be the problem. It did not change anything. The plumber only changed the pipes close to the tub to flexable. No other pipes were changed. My old tub did not do this, I use to lose pressure, but the water did not go hot. Any suggestions?

Pressure Balanced mixers should maintain temperature to within 3 degrees.
I suspect the pressure balancing may have a problem...
Do you know the model # that was installed?

When you say "Flex lines" I am suspect...
These by any chance were not braided stainless steel lines were they?
Can you post a picture of them?

You might have to take the balancing valve apart and see if anything got stuck in there as a result of the pipe swap. A clogged balancing valve will not balance.

I will return to the hardware store to find the model number. I only know they are Moen.

The lines are the grey plastic flexable type lines. I know the braided stainless type you mean, they are not that type.

Is the balancing valve not in the replacable insert? I did reinstall it with a new one, but maybe I am wrong in assuming the balancing valve is in the insert.

I will return to the hardware store to find the model number. I only know they are Moen.

The lines are the grey plastic flexable type lines. I know the braided stainless type you mean, they are not that type.

Is the balancing valve not in the replacable insert? I did reinstall it with a new one, but maybe I am wrong in assuming the balancing valve is in the insert.

I'd get a real plumber to do something with those lines you are talking about...
I'm about 99.99995% sure they do not belong inside a wall.

There are a couple of possibilities where the balancing mechanism would be depending on whether it is a Posi-Temp or, Moentrol mixer you have.

Back