Should this header be supported by double studs?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revg

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I decided to get a window in my living room extended and installed. When the install crew left a bunch of my electrical wasn't working so it prompted me to get a master electrician in to open up the job and check it. He told me the job was very poorly done and nothing was up to code, it was totally unsafe, and the people doing it clearly had no knowledge of the Canadian electrical code.

He then told me that the header they installed is only supported by single studs and he said it looks like it should be supported by double studs. He wasn't sure, but wanted me to ask a framer just to make sure that this header installation was up to code. Here are the pictures. Can anyone tell me if this header should be supported by double studs or not?

image1
image2
image3

Thanks,
Greg

There called jacks, not studs, studs go from bottom plate to top plate. Code or not I still would have used two. They knew the sheetrock was going to have to be repaired anyway and it's easer to fix a wide piece of rock then to patch a small strip of it.
Do you replace that window with one that was just taller or is this a whole new window?
Why is that wire sticking out of the header?
They may have only used one if it's one the gable end side of the house because there's far less weight above it then a front or back wall.

Last edited:
Out here we call them criples or criple studs. Any header 5 ft or longer should have at least two on each end. As Joe said, It depends on whats above it. If there is a floor or rafters or trusses that land on this wall, it will be a concern. There should be 3 nails or screws every 16" and there should be no holes near the bottom or top of a header.
Let us know what's above.

Back