Cedar post supporting screen porch?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomS

Reaction score
So here is my first question for the forum. Moved into an existing home this spring this spring and have been fixing all the stuff that the previous owners neglected (glad we got a great deal). I live in MN & the home was built in 1997.

Current project started by replacing the 5/4 cedar decking (Trees growing between the boards just did not do it for me). Pulled the trim around the post supporting the screen porch and find the bottoms of the post are rotted too. The post sit on top the 5/4 so replacing the decking without removing the post is a real challenge too.

So my question is how to handle the 4 x 4 post supporting the screen porch? Do I want them on top of the 5/4 decking or do I try to support directly on the joists below so deck boards can be replaced without removing posts? Am I better off using treated green for the post? Or is there some kind of support to create some air space under the post?

Thanks

Tom

I would sit the post on the joist and put flooring around it. when ever posible put the factory end down when using treated lumber and it will be fine. You do want to enlarge the side of the joist to get good barring and add joist material around the post to nail the flooring to.

Inspector: that's a great post but note they have changed the run of the joists, so if you doing this to an older deck you want to strap it first and there may not be room below doorways.

There are options.:D

This article gives a little info as to answer some of your questions.

Perk Up A Porch - Issue No. 283

And these types are available, and maintinence free.
http://www.fairwayvinyl.com/resources/guides/FVS_Vinyl_Porch_Posts_Guide.pdf

I think I am sold on putting the post on the supporting joists and laying the 5/4 decking around it. I would like cedar posts but am concerned about rot. I could use green post and wrap in cedar as shown in the article. But the post would become much larger which could cause some other challenges.

One other option I have considered is using some kind of a support base that raise the post to help keep the end dry which I believe is required on concrete.

Would a post support be a good option to look at?

There are options.:D

This article gives a little info as to answer some of your questions.

Perk Up A Porch - Issue No. 283

And these types are available, and maintinence free.
http://www.fairwayvinyl.com/resources/guides/FVS_Vinyl_Porch_Posts_Guide.pdf

The article is helpful. I think I am sold on getting the post off of the 5/4 decking. I will add additional support when needed for the decking.

My preference would be to use 4 x 4 cedar post but I am still concerned about the ends rotting where they are supported by the joists. Is there a good way to support the post so there is an air gap under the post so it dries easier?

My 2nd option would be to use green post and then wrap with cedar creating the look of a 6 x 6 post.

You can buy the green treatment by the can and treat the bottom of the cedar post below the floor.

You can buy the green treatment by the can and treat the bottom of the cedar post below the floor.

Can you provide a name of what I would look for? I have done a few searches and can not find that type of product.

Back