8ft section of cinder block bowing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am describing my parents house, 2 levels and a basement in Western Pennsylvania built ~1960. In 1991 we noticed cracking and bowing of an 8ft section of the basement wall. I dug up the water supply line and fixed the leak. In the subsequent 20+ years, the wall has not moved.

The bow measures 1/2" out of plumb at the top and bottom. The wall is ~7' tall and supports a single level section of the house. The area over that wall formerly had wood paneling that we changed to drywall 5 yrs ago. It is not cracked.

They are now planning to sell their house. I am considering just sealing those cracks and repainting the whole wall. I've had Carbon fiber straps installed at my home, but there was more warping in that situation with cracking walls.

What do we do with this? I'm confident that professionals will either say that straps aren't necessary b/c they don't want to be involved in such a small job - 3 or 4 straps. OR they will say that they are absolutely necessary, although that may not be the case. I do suppose that I could break the concrete and sink an I-beam for support. Any ideas welcomed.

You said the drywall is not cracked, so the cracks you are talking about are in the block wall ?
It's never a good idea to hide a problem while not knowing just how bad it is.
It sounds like you solved the problem and if you have no leaks now it will likely be OK but I would back that up with an engineers report, that way if there is ever a problem in the future, your family will be out of the loop for any complaints.

carbon fiber straps are sold in 6unit packages,,, ask your guys for a quote,,, i don't think they're necessary for such a slight bow

Latest posts

Back