Framing around pipes

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only seeing one pic .... If this is a corner, you can build a bulkhead (vertical soffit) that encases the pipes from floor to ceiling. This will give you the framing on which to attach your vapor barrier. Are there more pictures?

If that is plumbing for a sink you can just insulate and vapour barrier around the pipe fit the drywall as close as possible and cut out the sink cupboard at the back, that will leave the clean out accessable. Or as suggested building a box around it or making that section of the wall deeper.
We would have like to see something between the wood and the flloor.

20151111_184126_zpssmohtzxz.jpg

Yes it's about a foot away from the corner of my mechanical room.

20151111_184105.jpg

20151111_184126.jpg

Only seeing one pic .... If this is a corner, you can build a bulkhead (vertical soffit) that encases the pipes from floor to ceiling. This will give you the framing on which to attach your vapor barrier. Are there more pictures?

ok, I think I sort of under stand the idea of building a bulk head around it. I am a little unclear about insulating after. I will be using pink batt insulation. Wont that leave a large cavity behind the insulation where the pipes are located against the wall ?

I had a similar jog in my movie room only because of a chimney and my jog was a bit wider at 18” I was going to just fill it in and make it wasted space but then thought to use for for my equipment as a built in. You may have enough space there for a built in book case or something. If not square it off and fill in the corner.

You want the pipe on the warm side of the insulation.

The quick and easy box out is to use 2x8s or 2x10 for the last 2 studs in the corner. Double up the insulation or you would end up with no insulation at the corner of the box.

Back