Brick cleanup

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the best way to clean this brick that we have opened up in a house we are remodeling...

What is your goal for the brick? Is it something you want to have exposed as a design feature, or do you just want to clean it?

You can do it with acid but that takes a lot of rinsing with water, I wouldn't do it inside the house.

The brick was never finished to be shown so the joints weren't struck. Even cleaned up it will retain a rather rustic look. If that's in line with what you want you could clean the surface mortar off with muriatic acid. Though with the finished floors in the adjacent room that could be a problem. I used it inside the basement of my first house to clean up a brick wall we installed for a wood stove, but there I had a concrete floor and the framing and drywall hadn't been started yet. It takes a fair amount of water to do the muriatic acid bath, since you need to hose it down. Perhaps you could cover the floor with plastic sheeting, and make a dam out at the edges to contain the water, then use a wet dry vac to suck up the water as you go. You'd want to tape it off securely so it doesn't leak. What is below?

Latest posts

Back