Repairing Metal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeVilla

Reaction score
No category for this, so I tossed a dart ...

The picture shows a broken plate on a cast metal venturi assembly for a commercial stove. The air comes in the narrow end and mixes with gas at the round plate. The burner (not shown) sits on top of the round plate.

For various reasons, the plate fractured. I have never tried this before ... but I thought to experiment with two products which claim to mend metal without welding.

I am using high temperature JB Weld and (on another assembly) QuickSteel. The JB claims to actually mend. The Steel looks like a crack filler without mending application. Since there are a lot of cracks in these assemblies at the heat end, I am going to see if their claims hold up to the real world.

Anyone have direct experience with these products? Success? Failure?

Venturi.jpg

I have a feeling the burner temp is higher than 400F the rating of the JB product. It might last a while but the thermal cycles will take a toll. I don’t have a lot of experience with these products but have done my share of rigging repairs on auto exhausts in my day. Nothing ever lasted too long and didn’t expect them to. If safety is a concern in any way I would always have in back of my mind it was patched.

Brazing is what I might try.

Good luck and I know you will keep us posted.

Cut a peice of steel to fit behind and bolt it together with countersunk machene screws. Start with a big washer that is close to needed size.

depends on what type of metal it is. if it is cast aluminum then if you weld it, you should use the heli - arc method, cast pot metal, of zinc, forget it, steel or iron, brazing or welding will work.
As far as gluing it together, if the heat is above the round plate, then gluing might work but it should be backed up by some support such as a washer as neal has suggested.
I believe that the temperature at the fitting wont be too high because the gas/air mixture enters there before it burns, and the coolest part of any flame is right at the bottom of it, and the hottest is somewhere near the middle just above the first cone of flame

forgot to add that you can rivet the backup plate also

Latest posts

Back