Back door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bert01xj

Reaction score
i own a 108 year old brick house and the back door has seen better days.so it is 32'' wide an 75'' tall.how can i get around buying a special order door. i don't want to pay an extra 150 plus dollars on it.should i find a wood door and cut it to fit?

You can cut down a door provided it is not a hollow core. Just make sure you chisel in the hinge plates and measure twice, cut once.

Buy a solid rail 6 panel door, cut 2" off top and 3" off bottom, then set your hinges accordingly.

I agree,
And make sure it is the same thickness as the door you have now, an interior door will be different then an exterior door.
Good luck.

you can cut down a hollow core you just have to repack the part you cut. thanks for the help.

i own a 108 year old brick house and the back door has seen better days.so it is 32'' wide an 75'' tall.how can i get around buying a special order door. i don't want to pay an extra 150 plus dollars on it.should i find a wood door and cut it to fit?

Is the door 32", or are we talking a rough opening of 32"? Either way, I guess it doesn't really matter, because you're looking at a custom door.

I found myself in the same situation, but with a newer house. I found a good used SOLID WOOD door on Craigslist. The door was cheap, but it required a lot of cutting and fitting.

In the end, I got the job done and am very satisfied with the results.

Back