Do I plaster this, then paint it?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojoma

Reaction score
Hi, great forum!

I removed a chunk of the wall because if was moldy/corroded, etc.

I am not sure how to go about repairing it. It appears to be plaster, with a beige paint over top of it. Here is a pic.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7167/6617965335_2928e4b6e3_b.jpg
6617965335_2928e4b6e3_b.jpg

Should I go to Home Depot and get some plaster and paint?

Thanks a lot

Tile would be good if you can find a match, I'd use a drywall compound over plaster- dries quicker, easy to sand and strong enough.

That area looks newly caulked? Are you sure you have the water problem solved?

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to try drywall compound.
I'll just play with it a bit to make the groovy/dimply texture

I bet anything water is getting behind the caulk from lack of caulk in tub.
Take the door trim off and replace that hole piece this is something that wont go away by putting compound on it.
Remove all your silicone in tub and replace it.

Hi,

I put on a couple coats of wallboard joint compound. It's dry now. I am going to sand it, caulk it, and then paint it. I am not very good at this stuff though. I have a feeling it will not look much like the other part of the wall when done, and I will end up calling a pro.

6665493287_22e4c0bb30_z.jpg

As a preventative check, take a look at your lower door track. Many of them are designed with weep holes on the inside that are designed to allow water that gets into the track a way out. IF the door is incorrectly caulked, they can be easily plugged up, allowing water to leak outside of the track...right where you are having the problem.

No sense fixing damage only to have it reappear because the cause was not addressed.

maybe place a piece of composite-(white) water-proof - seems to get a lot of water in that area - good luck !

You should plaster it before paint. It will make your paint longer lasting. Thanks.

Back