Help needed on installing a sky light

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TxBuilder

I would like to install a sky light in a bathroom above the tub area.

This seems like a huge project but one I would really like to undertake.

I know I would need to cut out the ceiling. Box up the area in the attic from the ceiling to the roof. Then cut a hole in the roof. Install the window and seal it all up.

That's the basics of it but I know there is a lot more. Any tips or suggestions on books I should read would be very helpful.

velux makes many types of sky lights. they are made to fit between the rafters and have installation kits to help.

if you cut a rafter you need to brace that rafter to the other rafters and double up the rafters closest to the one you cut.

the biggest problem is how to seal the sky light to the shingles. don't let water in...

TX, you're on the right track, essentially. You need to open up the ceiling, have a look at where you can fit the skylight between the rafters, and what that means in terms of your ceiling (best case scenario is that rafters and ceiling joists are aligned, and you can just drop the light, build a box and call it done. If things aren't that well lined up, then you may have to get a bit creative.

Roofside, you usually need some kind of 90 degree flashing to tuck under the shingles, and under some kind of flange on the light. Don't spare the Tar. Roofs don't need to be pretty, they need to be dry.

I checked out Velux's website. Very nice products.

When I build the box what material should I make it out of? I know the box needs to be sealed to keep out the cold/hot of the attic however should I use a real thick building material as well to keep the attic climate out of the bathroom?

I would build it out of aqua board (water-resistant drywall) with vapour barrier behind it, and insulation behind that. Just like a real wall.

What should I use to seal the area between the skylight and roof? I have shingles (on my home!)

roof tar and to make it easy get the kind that is intubes that fit in a chalk gun.ahhhhhhh life is grand

Not to high jack this thread... we built an addition in 2000 june and added a skylight to the roof above the kitchen . Life was great till 2008 hail storm; june 2009 insurance replaced the damaged shingles on roof & garage. To the Skylight the contractor just replaced the base around the skylight he said the window would be OK ( we complained of it leaking )before the shingles . The big storm on it's way in Dec. 09/2009 and its raining inside . Now they are on their way to inspect and check out the pictures we took. Let you know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back