Jenn-Air Cooktop leaking grease/oil

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpedsea

Reaction score
While cleaning inside my cabinets, I discovered that my cooktop has been leaking some kind of grease or oil for what looks like a decent period of time. The substance (now removed) left a thick orangey/brown trail out of the motor/blower wheel connection and down the vent duct. The consistency was similar to Crisco. I thought it might be a gap where the parts meet allowing grease from the fan vent to accumulate and then leak, but my husband suggested it might be motor oil, which I assume is a much bigger problem. I believe the leak occurred where the motor cover meets the blower wheel cover, but I am not sure of my part names. I was thinking of sealing the small gap with a silicone caulk, but if I have a motor problem, I will of course hire a pro. Thanks for any advice you might be able to give.

photo link: http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z474/dpedsea/Jenn-air.jpg

Hi,

I thought it might be a gap where the parts meet allowing grease from the fan vent to accumulate and then leak, but my husband suggested it might be motor oil

More tend to think your thought on the grease is what is happening....JMO!
Grease laden air will definetly build up on and around the blower wheel and could certainly leak out.

jeff.

Thanks, Jeff! Since there's quite a bit of it, I have a feeling it is cooking grease. Disgusting, but not a mechanical disaster.

Back