Ridge vent and soffit vents are all thats required?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
I tend to overkill things, it makes me feel better. So i had an inspector over and he told me that my attic, which I had a ridge vent and soffit vents installed was the minimum required.

When i asked him what else I could do he said ti was fine, it was about 90 up there on a 97 day but if I can make it better why not.

My question is that if a ridge and soffit is the most basic thing i can do, what would medium and max?

I know I can run into venting issues if its not done right, so what would be some steps to go past the minimum? Thanks

Drew, if it was 90 on a 97' day, leave well enough alone. Most attics I get in in a 97' day will hit 120 plus. What ever you do, DO NOT mix exhaust types of ventilation.

Some things you just can't over kill, it is either right or wrong. To attempt more than what you have may actually make it worse and waste money.

Thanks guys, when he said minimum it made me want to make it better. I would rather leave it than ruin it

I didn't calculate anything, i left it up to the roofers. Based on the job they did, im going to measure and calculate now! Thanks

If its cooler in the attic than it is outside where is the cooling coming from?

@bud16415, not sure. maybe it was the same as outside temp but it didn't seem as hot. previously without the vents, it would be 10-15 degrees hotter at least.

That seems better. The best you could do with perfect ventilation I would think is maintain the inside the same as outside. That is unless you are pouring the coal to the AC and have poor insulation and partly cooling the attic.

I was assuming you had measured the temp at both locations. Temperature is a lot like light levels our bodies are not very good at measuring ether.

Back