Flood prevention

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danramosd

Reaction score
(please forgive me if this is in the wrong section)

I recently moved into my new home at the jersey shore a couple months ago, and since then I've had my first floor flood twice. After re-reading my inspection report, it appears to be an issue with the grading:

"Grading: Grading at the foundation contained areas that were flat or backpitched toward the foundation. The left side yard and neighboring yard slope toward the dwelling. In addition, the dwelling is low compared to the neighbors on both sides and lends to rainwater issues. These conditions will allow rain water to flow toward the dwelling and penetrate into the dwelling.

Re-grade affected areas to achieve adequate slope away from structure for a minimum of 15 feet to allow for positive drainage conditions. Maintain minimum of 4-6" clearance from dwelling siding to the soil. Discuss past rainwater issues with the homeowner. Monitor and address as necessary with additional drainage provisions."

I have several questions about solving the issue:
1) Who would i contact about adjusting the grade? General contractor, landscaper, etc? I have a concrete sidewalk leading up to my front door which I would imagine might have to get ripped up. On top of the concrete I also have wooden posts to hold up a second floor wrap around deck.
2) Would putting in a french drain be a possible solution? If so, who would be the best professional to contact about that?
3) My driveway (which makes up 90% of my front yard) is rock hard dirt with gravel on top. Would ripping this up and replacing it with sod allow for better drainage or increase the ability to absorb more water?

Welcome Dan. There are several posts already here about drainage issues. You can search the threads and start reading a little.

Your questions are good. As far as hiring someone to regrade; sure a landscaper or a GC. There's also a whole industry built around flood mitigation and dry basements. But do your homework first.
The main trick is to stop the water before it reaches your walls. Your home inspector gave you a good report, with solid advice. A combination of regrading and french drain will probably get you the best results. I guess you don't have a basement.

@slownsteady thanks for the quick reply and solid advice. I'll take a look at some of the other posts on drainage issues.

Welcome to the site.

Did you figure one area was worse or did water come from everywhere?
Is your house lower than the road?
Does your yard also slope to the road or to the back yard?
Does it appear that the floor is level with the top of the foundation?
Do you have down spouts at the corners that go into the ground?

Latest posts

Back