When vinegar won't clear shower sprayers

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, good idea.

OK, got the CLR in a small bottle, ~$5.00 with vets discount.

Followed the directions, it worked worse than water would. Got exasperated, decided it was gonna work or I'd have a melted mass, so soaked the showerhead overnight in pure CLR, and it worked great. No apparent damage to anything but the lime or whatever the heck it was. Thanks everyone, including the boat propeller people.

On TV they show someone holding a dish full up to the shower head:help:
Thanks for the come back.

CLR works for me. Remove the head and set in a dish so the CLR covers the holes.

I'm a CLR fan as well, it's brilliant.

I also use a professional grade steam cleaner or a blower with the pinhead attachment.
OK, so I'm a bit off the deep end on the cleanliness front. That's because my last 15 years have been spent renovating 3 different homes and I feel like I'm in a perpetual state of chaos otherwise. :) You can get cheaper (the $230 Reliable brand "Brio" if you anticipate needing repairs) steam cleaners (and by the way the multiple benefits of these things pay for themselves in no time) and the blower is some of the best $$$ I have ever spent. No more pulling out the fridge to dust its back!

That said, the world's greatest showerhead (IMHO) can be had at the Home Depot for like $8. Amazon has a slightly larger but otherwise similar one listed for $15 which also does the trick - I've used both. Slightly preferred the cheaper one for awesome spraying power.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a gas welding tip cleaner. It is a series of fine wires used to clean the holes in gas welder tips. If you look at the wires with a magnifier you will see what looks like files . putting the wires in the shower head hole cleans them fast and completely

Back