Which dishwasher?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickmar

Reaction score
I have had the same dish washer for 51 years and would like to purchase a dishwasher for her. Know very little about them. Would appreciate any and all opinions as to which brand is the best. I will have room for one by removing a cupboard. Thanks, Mick

They don't build one that will last as long as yours has. Maybe now, its your turn for the next 51 years.
Some very high rated ones are Bosch, Kenmore and Maytag. You might check them out and see which one fits your needs best.
Glenn

We purchased a Kenmore "dishdrawer" washer. Made by Fisher Paykel. Pretty fancy schmancy unit. I have to say it does a pretty good job. it is quiet and I like the fact that is essentially two washers in one. There are two separate drawers that pull out, rather than a drop down door and roll out racks.

There are however some downsides. The biggest gripe I have is the way you fill the soap. It requires dry soap, no liquid/gel stuff. If you fill the drawer with dishes first, then try opening the detergent holder and pouring it in, you have to aim and pour from up high, as the dishes are in the way of the box of detergent. You end up pouring in more than necessary most of the time.

It is easy to have things fall poke down through the bottom of the rack and interfere with the sprayer. Take the time to load it and make sure things don't poke through.

It is difficult to load small plastic dishes like cup sized storage keepers, etc. and not have them get bounced around inside and end up right side up and full of water.

Our previous Kenmore dishwasher was of the "traditional" design. It was a middle range unit. It had the real useful features without having all the extra clips and options for the racks. Also we really liked the stainless interior.

Hope that helps a bit.

KErry

Hey Mickmar, I just had a brilliant idea! Maybe you could get a 21 year old dishwasher. That is, if your wife is not too narrow minded; mine said that ain't even funny.
Glenn

Glenn, I like your idea, best one yet, but I rather doubt that the wife would go along with it. How about two 21 year olds, one to wash, one to wipe? :) :) Happy New Year. Mick

Latest posts

Back