roof leaking - help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

queensrowhouse

Reaction score
hi all. i don't know what type of room material was used but its leaking in the house 1st and 2nd floor. maybe some brick work is needed as well. can anyone comment on what type of roof this is, the quality of workmanship, and the materials and technique needed to repair.
thank you in advance

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

Looks to be a modified roof with a silver coat roof sealer.
The workmanship around the brick is very poor quality.
If you're leak is in that area that will be the most likely cause.
The brick area needs to be counter flashed with metal cut into mortar joints for proper seal.
Hard to tell about other areas.

Chicago Roofing

Chicago,
Thanks for your reply. I had a mason come and do some pointing around the exterior of the house. He later went on the roof and smeared a full bucket of bulldog flashing cement all over the bricks. He assured me that my roof will never leak again. What are your thoughts on the matter ? BTW I looked at other houses that are attached and no one has metal on their roof. Thanks in advance

Good information, thanks for sharing. You roof hasn't leaked again has it?

So far so good but I'm not holding my breath, as I have read that roofing cement does not last a long time. Now my question would be - should I be concerned about mold with all the moisture trapped in there?

Anywhere that there is moisture and air flow, you can have mold. Whether its dangerous mold or not is hard to tell unless you get some sampling done. Just keep an eye open and if you notice any difficulties in breathing, head aches, nausea, etc, then I would recommend a mold inspection. Otherwise you should be fine unless you start to smell the mold. If you'd rather not chance it, and you can't physically see the area then have mold inspection done of the area. They usually shouldn't cost more than $150 to $200.

Back