Brown spots in my bathroom on linoleum floor Help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone used loun under that floor.
It's not approved for use under linoleum.
It causes glues to release, staining, and has voids.
It should have been 1/4 underlayment rated plywood.

And Joe was right with this. Luan can bleed and cause brown spots, and it takes no other moisture.

Thanks Gary. Since Joe is supposed to be a builder, I'm surprised he is not familiar with chipboard.

Chip board may be what they call it in the UK. Phone a lumber yard and ask if they carry chip board for subfloors and see what they say. Builders would be more apt to talk about products by the name that the suppliers use like Adventech.

In this part of the U.S., the terms chip board and OSB are both used. People at the lumber yard know what they are. Also called beaver barf. :D

I have the same thing on our kitchen floor linoleum. And it is growing. I believe it is a mold underneath. It was by our window, so I suspect there was a leak of some kind. We are ripping up our linoleum, fixing our window, bleaching the spot under the linoleum where the mold must have been growing and laying new floor. Not good news, but necessary.

So what type of underlayment was there, and did you follow the water trail to the window area? How did you fix the window, did you do a water/hose test?

Gary

Back