What the heck is going on with my ceiling?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tellebot

Reaction score
I finally got around to finishing replacing the detached drywall tape on my kitchen ceiling. I retaped, mudded, sanded, wiped dust, and primed. I didn't prime the whole ceiling, since I'm just going from white to white and the previous owners painted the whole house shortly before we bought it.

I primed yesterday, and started painting today. The white ceiling paint is going on gray over the areas where I didn't prime, and stark white where I did prime. Why is this? I've used this same ceiling paint in 3 other rooms with no trouble, although this is a fresh gallon. Is there something wrong with the new paint? Or the old paint? Something else? Both the primer and paint I used are water-based; could the old paint be oil-based?

In the pic, from left to right: the unprimed ceiling someone else painted, the area I just painted on top of the unprimed ceiling, and the paint over the area I primed.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1427989897.137381.jpg

It may have done the same in other room, with out patches, you wouldn't notice. Once dry do some tests with another coat.

perhaps something is bleeding through (grease, smoke, etc.). The only fix is to prime the entire surface and then paint.

I hope he comes back and tells us it all dried out just fine. If not then kok328 has the right approach

The second coat dried much more evenly. Starting a third coat. That's what I get for trying to save myself time by only priming where I patched, I guess. But at least it looks like it'll all look okay...eventually.

The second coat dried much more evenly. Starting a third coat. That's what I get for trying to save myself time by only priming where I patched, I guess. But at least it looks like it'll all look okay...eventually.
It may have more to do with the quality of the paint or how well you spread it. I have spot-patched successfully on a ceiling.

Back