Entry door issue - Whoops!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Just started a project to lay backer board and ceramic tile in our kitchen and discovered (duh!) the back door will not open in and clear the new floor. Its a ten year old prehung Stanely steel clad in good shape. Wood I would just cut - but I know nothing about the integrity or construction of the steel clad. Also we have already stripped old vinyl tile and luan off the floor so its as low as it will go already. Can I cut a half inch off the bottom and raise the the door saddle/threshold with a new rubber saddle and weather strip - or am I stuck with the door or the option of buying a new wood (really don't want to) one and cutting that off? Also, if I do/can cut it - any reccomendations on blades or advice? Thanks. Mike P.

So the door would not open eh??

Good thing no one was around....hehe.:D

Well, cutting the door is out. They are usually full of foam and have the structure parts located where you need to cut it out.
The easier solution is to remove the entire door unit, jamb and all and raise it the inch you need. This will require some modification to the siding outside.
Let us know what type of siding you have and we can go from there.:)

Welcome Mike:
There are commercial door shops that can cut a steel door off, weld it back together, girnd it down and re-prime it. You just don't want to hear the price. Inspector D has given you the best advice (He's good ain't he).
Glenn

Back