2 questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
Hi all, I have 2 questions. #1- I have a 75'x15' area that I would like to clear out and cover with mulch. would it be cheaper to purchase at home depot or go to a smaller business that deals with this stuff. #2- does anyone have an opinion on the use of weedblocker fabric? I've heard differences of opinions on this. thanks

More than likely the folks that sell wood mulch can deliver right to your spot with a small dump body truck, and yes it will be cheaper. Around here I can put 4 yards on my dump, and it costs $50.
The fabric is a must to keep down on the weeds.

Hi all, I have 2 questions. #1- I have a 75'x15' area that I would like to clear out and cover with mulch. would it be cheaper to purchase at home depot or go to a smaller business that deals with this stuff. #2- does anyone have an opinion on the use of weedblocker fabric? I've heard differences of opinions on this. thanks

In my area i get my mulch when the power co guys are in the area trimming
trees, It easier for them to dump it in my back yard than take it to the dump.
We also have a dump close by that people take there branches to, they run them through a chipper and they give them away. I do have to haul my own.
Paul

these guys hit it on the head with the mulch, but here's my opinion on the fabric:

it all depends on how much traffic the area is going to get. if you plan on leaving it alone, it will work just fine. if you plan on walking on it, or if it is in a neighborhood traffic area, the weight of people walking on it will push mulch chips through the cloth. before you know it, you'll have some shredded, nasty crap in the ground that's not going to do you much good.

:banana::beer::banana:

Mulch rots over time, then you have dirt and weeds in your yard with fabric that you can put a shovel thru. The old trick was black poly under mulch and I have had to remove it years later, it was a nightmare. Save your money on the fabric and use little more mulch. Weeds will grow in mulch with or with out fabric.

Why not consider a layer of decorative rock over fabric? Never needs cutting, or watering, and the weeds will be at a minimum. If the idea of walking on rocks doesn't appeal to you, putting in a meandering mulch walkway or two (or even crusher fines, instead of mulch), lined with contrasting brick pavers, would spruce things up a bit.

Back