Framing questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terp

Reaction score
I am getting started with the rough framing in my basement. I uploaded two pics to the gallery...not sure how to link to them here. The first is my basement window opening. I am not sure where to put the king studs and sills in relation to the window opening. Should it be flush with the cement opening, or an inch back from the outside of the window frame?

The second is where the water line enters the house, I am not sure how to frame around it as I cannot put in a continuous top plate.

Any help would be apprectiated!

John

I'm not sure if this is how you are supposed to do it but as I'm framing my basement in presently I am putting the studs flush with the 2x4's that I put inside the concrete opening (my rough opening) Later I will put the finish trim in with shims so that It matches up with my windows. But I also have aluminum clad wood windows, in your picture you have the vinyl windows, is that a gap between the face of the window and the concrete? I think you could probably do it any way you want to.

As for the water pipe, I would try to make the seam of your sill and top plates be where the water pipe is, and then just leave that small area where your top plate is open, Or you could possibly un-sweat the fitting up top and move it up and through the floor joist, then you would only have the one pipe going up through the top plate.

are you dropping the ceiling or just putting sheetrock on the existing floor joists?

I'm sure you'll get more opinions and options. Good luck

As for linking pictures Up to the thread, I personally use photobucket.com and then put the picture in using the links that they have for you to copy under the picture. just remember to downsize the picture so it isn't such high resolution.

When you run your top plate, just stop it short of the pipe. You will probably see how it works as you do it.
With the windows you can just stop the framing on the outside edges of the whole window frame. This way you do not crowd the window sash itself. Then your 3/4 inch trim boards will leave you a nice reveal of about 3/4 away from the sash. Put a piece of trim up against the window to see how it fits. Then mark where your framing will go.

Thanks for your responses, I figured those issues could be handled in several ways but this is my first basement and I want to make sure I take my time and do it right the first time.

As far as putting the walls up, which way would you recommend: a book I have tells me to install the top and bottom plates after marking all of the stud locations and then measure and cut all of the wall studs and install them (to account for variations in the cement floor and ceiling joists). Most people I talk to tell me they built the wall on the floor and then lifted it in place and shimmed it.

Any advice on which way is better?

build it on the floor first, way easier and better to nail through the top and bottom plates into the stud than toe nail the studs in. It will go up quick if you have a framing gun.

Back