Hot Tub Suggestions Installed on Sloped Earth

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jukeboxpunk

Reaction score
Here is the thread I created in another forum regarding building a deck on a slope for a hot tub. Tub is a 7 person, with water weighing over 4900lbs.

6 Concrete footings, 6x6 posts, sistered 2x10 beams, 2x8 joists 12oc, and 2x6 decking. Spacing of beams and footings are in the thread I believe. Running 6awg 4 wire for tub running 240v 50amp at 60hz.

Please feel free to comment. I will post more pics on this thread link below of how thr project is going and when finished.

https://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,21386.0.html

Dig out the space and build an allan block wall to hold back the dirt do a slab of concrete or stone or whatever and place the tub on that lower level so now you don't have to climb into the tub, it will be close to ground level.

brick-deck.jpg

Last edited:
Dig out the space and build an allan block wall to hold back the dirt do a slab of concrete or stone or whatever and place the tub on that lower level so now you don't have to climb into the tub, it will be close to ground level.

That’s actually the hardest tub for people to get into as you are stepping down into water that the seat surface is 18”-20” lower than your other foot and you have nothing to hang on to unless you can still touch your toes. The best of course would be half the tub sticking above floor level as that is like getting into a old claw foot tub. Place hands at rim and swing one leg at a time in. Two problems with that design are people then like to sit on your cover (not made for that) and second all 4 sides of the tub have panels that you remove if something requires service. The sitting above the deck design is what I have up two steps and you are at the best height to enter and exit, you have access to all sides of the tub for service, being higher when you talk to people on the deck you are not looking up at them from the ground. Code says a pool that is low needs guarded I believe. And decks are required to have a rail around them and a sunken tub the only view you have is the sides of the rail. Getting up in the air gives you a much nicer line of sight of nature as well.

That’s actually the hardest tub for people to get into as you are stepping down into water that the seat surface is 18”-20” lower than your other foot and you have nothing to hang on to unless you can still touch your toes. The best of course would be half the tub sticking above floor level as that is like getting into a old claw foot tub. Place hands at rim and swing one leg at a time in. Two problems with that design are people then like to sit on your cover (not made for that) and second all 4 sides of the tub have panels that you remove if something requires service. The sitting above the deck design is what I have up two steps and you are at the best height to enter and exit, you have access to all sides of the tub for service, being higher when you talk to people on the deck you are not looking up at them from the ground. Code says a pool that is low needs guarded I believe. And decks are required to have a rail around them and a sunken tub the only view you have is the sides of the rail. Getting up in the air gives you a much nicer line of sight of nature as well.

Ok then let's redesign that to bad we don't know the slope.

Move the tub away from the wall and build the the wall in steps so the lowest one is at seat height so others could sit talk to people in the petri dish for 7

Or instead of a wall, a wide stairs leading down to the lower level

Im unfortunately inundated with storms for the next few days slowing this project even more...oi!

I chip away at but it's hard having a baby to watch while wife goes to work, and other responsibilities.

Got 3 of my posts secured with hex bolts. I have one more i need to drill out and bolt. Then on to laying the beams. But before that I need to dig an access trench for electrical, and then lay 3/4" stone on top of landscaping tarp.

Should go quickly this weekend.

NealTW, I did consider a retaining wall setup however, with our free/thaw cycles, im thinking it would have lasted maybe a few years before i would have to tend to it again. Thought of concrete slab and patio, and really came down to cost, it being on a slope, not knowing whats under sub terrain and major root systems to trees that I want to keep. So concrete footings was the best route and I could have some leeway.

Just can't wait to be done with this project.

giphy.gif

so others could sit talk to people in the petri dish for

We in the hot tub communities call it water but it is really a bowl of soup that starts out as water so water based soup would be correct. Petri dish assumes you know what is in it and you want it to grow. In a hot tub (soup bowl) the mixture of body fluids, skin cells, body lotions and hair products, add into that tree pollen and bugs that get in or an occasional mammal and then the residual of all the chemicals used to keep the soup looking like water. The mixture is an attempt at being scientific but most people don’t have the skills to be all that scientific.

The mixture is really pretty close to most municipal water supplies and 100 year old distribution pipes coated in god knows what.

For most people ignorance is bliss. :)

I was going to go for a swim this afternoon, but now I think I might be too busy. :hide:

I was going to go for a swim this afternoon, but now I think I might be too busy. :hide:

LOL. Yep swimming pools are just a larger cooler bowl of soup. The difference is us hot tub people start over every 3 months but pool people keep their soup year after year.

Just remember what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
:rofl:

Back