DIY Insulation Blower Help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcastro

Reaction score
Hi everyone,I have a bunch of cellulose bags of inhalation I got awhile back for my attic. My attic currently has blown in fiberglass. I picked up a harbor freight dust collector and plan on using it to suck out the fiberglass.

I was thinking I should be able to use the system in reverse to blow the cellulose back in. I was seeing if I could get some feedback and ideas.

The dust collector has a 4 inch hose exit. I was thinking of getting a reducer so I could use my shop vac hose. I would connect a 55 gallon plastic drum to the reduced hose. The drum would be the spot where I would dump the cellulose. I need to also think of a way to agitate the cellulose inside the drum. I have a mixer with large a large paddle. If I could add the paddles inside the drum that would be great. The I would have another hole in that drum that functions as the exit and world be used to blow the insulation. I have 2 25 foot shop vac hoses.

I saw a thread awhile back on here of a guy who did a mini insulation blower. Concept is similar but larger scale. Any thoughts our anyone see any flaws with the plan?

This video shows some trick and the paddles they use to break up the product.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRO008rfhxo[/ame]

Good video Neal, with fiberglass seems like it needs to travel the 100 feet in order to fluff correctly. Now I'm left wondering if that holds true for cellulose as well. Might not make sense to build this out. If I can't properly fluff the cellulose I will lose r-value. I'll have to check the depot to see what the minimum amount of bags I will need.

Good video Neal, with fiberglass seems like it needs to travel the 100 feet in order to fluff correctly. Now I'm left wondering if that holds true for cellulose as well. Might not make sense to build this out. If I can't properly fluff the cellulose I will lose r-value. I'll have to check the depot to see what the minimum amount of bags I will need.

There are a few different machines like that, depending on what they charge for it, might not be worth re inventing the wheel. Although that would be fun.

Back