UV Light Transformer/Controller...Timed Out...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorPlan

Reaction score
:hide: We have a Sterlight Brand UV Light, the Controller is a BA-ICE-S model...The unit has been in operation going on 5 yrs now, I've replaced the UV bulb 3 times now successfully Reseting the Countdown Timer each time...By clicking the reset button twice that brings up a 2nd count of sorts and that is where my query lies...This Count will go for a total of 1680 days , according to the manual this number cannot be reset...

My question, Does this mean the Transformer/Controller is Finished and has to be replaced altogether ?? Seems like built in Obcelesencz :help:

Run it for a week and look for the count to increment by 7 days.

The mean time between failures is a likelihood, a probability distribution (probably the Weibull distribution). If these controllers fail precisely at the same number of days then they were programmed to do it, which is possibly illegal, at least for now.

Last edited:
Did you try turning the power off and then holding the reset button down and turning the power back on with the button held down wait for the reset and a beep then releasing the button.

The 1680 is an example number in the manual.

Resetting the elapsed days is like turning back the odometer on a car you want to sell. This feature might be for the benefit of the maker.

Resetting the elapsed days is like turning back the odometer on a car you want to sell. This feature might be for the benefit of the maker.

:beer: @ bud16415...got yah, have had no problem in the past going through the reset routine, unplugging to the power source changing off the UV bulb
then holding the reset button in while at the sametime plugging back into the power...

@ Wuzzat....:agree: Like the old Trial & Error routine...After changing off the bulb and going through the initial reset routine assuming the countdown indicator will set itself back to 365...We'll wait and see I guess...:)

:) the Intermittent Warning Chirp started right after Supper..Armed with a New Bulb to Swap Out I had the Controller unplugged...Now Reset I double clicked and that number came out to 1981 days...As I wasn't to sure just how long we've had the UV Light in operation, my calculations come out to 5.4 yrs...lol..

@ Wuzzat...You maybe Right, I will check the number showing if it's down to 364 we must be good to go for another year...lol...:banana:

"The UV lamp must be replaced after 9,000 hours of continuous operation (approximately one year) in order to ensure adequate disinfection. " so its life is known with some accuracy but the controller lifetime is indeterminate (but longer than the lifetimes of a few bulbs).

In principle, I guess your controller could last 9999 days, or longer.
If any lurker has this same equipment and they post the days to controller failure then you will have some idea of how long your setup will last.

If you have a schematic for the controller there is probably an internal reset pin somewhere. Look for the numbers on the integrated circuits that you find inside. Probably the display driver IC is the one you need.

Last edited:
"The UV lamp must be replaced after 9,000 hours
If you have a schematic for the controller there is probably an internal reset pin somewhere. Look for the numbers on the integrated circuits that you find inside. Probably the display driver IC is the one you need.

:2cents:....The main concern that the UV Light still operates...And the 365 countdown works properly.. The Hardness of our water definitely necessitates the Swopping Out of the UV Bulb yearly....I've heard of some incidents where they'd have to clean the element take Vinegar & Water to it every 4 Months..Thankfully were not that bad off..With us you can definitely see signs of discolouration in spots along the inside of the element after a full year...:banana:

@ Wuzzat...Thanks Again for the Comebacks...:beer:

Last edited:
Back