Support Beam

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I'm looking to install a Parallam PSL beam between my Livingroom & Kitchen. I have a wall there now that supports the 2x8 ceiling joists in my ranch. I want to remove it and install the beam to give us an open floorplan The beam will have to span 25'. What size do I need? What brand do you recomend?

Hello HMG25 and Welcome to the Forum;
Your question is an enginering problem. See if you can find a structural engineer on line and pose the question to him/her. There is much more information needed before they can give the answer. For instance the live load expected (snow), species of wood, bearing points, will the 2 X 8's rest on the beam or tie into the side of it, etc.
You may want to google it on Louisiana Pacific, Georgia Pacific or Warehauser web sites. I know what I would do but it may not work in your situation; I think you need professional help with this one.
I wish you the very best success with it.
Glenn

Thanks for the responce. I have contacted 4 engineers in my area the soonest one can "fit me in " is 3 Weeks!!!

You may be able to get a 'span chart' from one of the major lumber suppliers I mentioned. That is what an engineer would use.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back