Is this a ball valve? (stupid question, i know)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i need to move a gas line and just wanted to make sure since it looks different than the ones inside. i know these things don't get used very often, are there any seals or o-rings that might fall apart internally if i turn it off/on?

gas scares the crap out of me, btw. :eek:

EDIT: i guess it would be smart to add the picture, right?

gasvalvegl8.jpg

depending on the make/model, there are most likely nylon seals internally but, these shouldn't fall apart.
turn it off, release the gas from the post side of the valve and check the valve for leakage once you get the pipes apart. Please be sure to use pipe dope on all your connections, make sure there is no source of ignition in the work area and leak check all your work when your done.

Hey Justin:
I agree with KOK. You can use dish liquid and water (50/50) to check the pipes for leaks when you're done; just brush it on or use a spray bottle.
If your gas company hears about this, they will take your meter until a licensed plumber certifies it to be leak free.
Glenn

that valve should be fine to turn off. Dad turns these on and off out on the farm for the irrigation engines and I've never heard of a leak from them. definately do be careful that you have no leaks with what your fixing, and don't test that leak with a lighter :D I'm sure you'll do fine
Justin

Back