Help is this load pillar?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amason

Reaction score
Here are the pictures I am not sure if this is a here for load bearing or not. The pillar is hallow but just want to make sure.

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

Welcome AMason:
It doesn't appear to be holding any load, more like just for decoration.
Glenn

Definatley no load on a hollow plastic decorative column. If your nice to it, you can probably fetch a penny on craigslist in the const. materials area. Good luck....

I removed the wall and there was no sag in the ceiling or anything... so I should be a ok. The pillar was not plastic it was about an inch thick but the rest hollow. Any things I should look at over the next couple days just to make sure I dont come crashing through the floor one of these days...

What was above it? Sheetrock, is it crushed or still ok. If there is any weight above, you would see something in the attic? or is there a floor above, if it bounces, beware. Stick a probe into the section above it, hit anything, if not, you'll be fine.

What material was the column made of? I have only seen the plastic/fiberglass ones.

The plaster was not crushed. There is a room above it. Also the top of the pillar and the bottom were actually some sort of hard plastic or fiber glass and the the rest of the pillar was about half inch thick wood but hollow otherwise. Also the fact that it was not a solid post going all the way down made me think it was only for decoration. I also called and consulted with a structual engineer and through these pictures and speaking with him he said it looked just decorative. It has been down 2 days now and no cracks in the drywall or cieling to show pressure on the drywall so I think I am ok... thanks for the help though guys.

I agree , but you still want to be sure it does not hold some phantom load. Sounds like you will be OK.:D

Back