Expanding a brick bouse?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hi2uall

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Our kitchen is small and we need to expand it. Luckily are kitchen is kind of in a good spot so we can expand hopefully easily. The kitchen is on the other side of the attached garage. I was thinking of just tearing that wall out and moving the kitchen into the garage and bring the basement floor up to flush with the kitchen floor.

I would then attach single garage onto the side of the garage that is already sitting there and make it illite bigger. So I would then have an 2stall garage and slightly bigger kitchen. Any thoughts on this idea? I'll post a pic of the kitchen later but here's the front of house.

Any ideas on how much this would cost?

image-803202856.jpg

Sure, garage conversions are not just to create bedrooms. :0) You might consider losing the garage door and adding windows. That means re-bricking the front of the house. You will have one seriously big kitchen . . . maybe expand 1/2 into garage and use the other half to expand your livingroom? Adding the garage (to the right?) is do-able if you can meet the setback requirementsof your community . . . looks like you can use the slope to minimize excavation. Would you put a basement under the garage too?

No way to estimate costs without dimensions, decisions on design, choices on windows & finishes. This will be a major remodel.

If you have roof trusses you may be able to take the wall down. If you have rafter and ceiling joists, it will be a barring wall and removel will be difficult but not impossible.

Not sure what were going to do. Looks to costly to do a makeover like this. Might just try and fugue out how to expand the kitchen without demolition. I'll post pics soon

Nothing wrong with dreaming and planning, have a look, sometimes just bumping a kitchen out 4 or 5 ft can make a big difference at a reasonable cost.

Back