Window too small for hole

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hemlockvint

Reaction score
What can I do to fix a situation where a lousy contractor cut the hole in my wall about 3" larger than the actual window? It's too long from top to bottom. It's new construction, just sheathing up right now, no siding.

It's easy, just add lumber on top or bottom, depending on if it's too low or high. Add same width as wall framing and nail to top or bottom. After you reach desired opening, this may require some plywood to get close enough, about 1/4" bigger than window. Keep it very square. Then on outside patch in sheeting right up to opening edge. This is the most important part of having a square and level window and trim, just check it good. Best of luck to ya....

I have a similar problem. I have very old windows. They are the old corded kind. Soome of the cords are broke and I can't shut the windows. Anyway, my dad recently passed away. His house is very old and falling down. I would like to take his windows and put them in my house (they are newer). However, they are smaller than what I currently have. I do not have money to buy anything new or to pay anyone to do this for me. Any chance I can use them or is there a way to fix the cords in my windows?

Latest posts

Back