raising house built in 1900

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AncientCitySlim

Reaction score
I need to raise the center of this 2 story house roughly 6 inches, and other areas an inch or so, here and there, to level. (not bad for over a hundred years) My question simply is this: How much would anyone estimate the weight of this secton of house to be and what would the best/easiest type of jack be? If there's anyone who wouldn't mind lending knowledge in this area, I'd be real grateful.

Slim

Welcome Slim:
First, is there a fireplace in the center of the house that is pushing it down? If that is the case, the fireplace and chimney need to be removed; they are virtually impossible to raise.
The center of a two story is going to be very heavy; I would want at least 6 hydraulic jacks with 8ton capicity each spread around evenly under there. I would move very slowly, deliverately, and safely. If you decide to move a jack to another location, be sure to crib up what you have gained. Someone needs to be inside the house to watch for cracking or splitiing and to watch a level moved around often to check the progress.
I would only raise each jack 1/4" or so at a time, trying to get it all to going together at one time.
We would like to see pictures of the job, before, during and after.
Glenn

Are you on a crawl space or basement?

An alternative to Glenn's good advice is to "crib up" at each location each time you lift and move the jack around. The slower you lift the less cracking you will get. If you're going to refinish all your walls anyhow just go for it. If not, plan on taking MONTHS to accomplish a six inch lift without cracking.
just my .o2, Doug

Back