Buying a moldy house?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glmoore0001

Reaction score
I have found a lakefront property that has a nice lot and a mold problem.
If I bought, I would totally gut the property removing everything including plumbing and electric and remodel entirely.
Can mold normally be remedied by gutting the interior, if the mold can be seen, can it be completely removed?
I understand the source of the moisture would have to be eliminated.
The property sits high on a hill so it is not affected by the lake itself. I am thinking problems with roof or drainage.
I know this question is vague and I am supplying little information to go on, I am going to look at the property near the end of the week and will know more about the state of repair at that time.
If I made an offer, it would be based on a total tear down, but I would prefer to keep the structure if possible.
thanks...gary

Last edited:
I would think that gutting the home and repairing any source of future mold would be a sure thing. Just be careful when gutting the home that you don't become sick from doing so.

I will go at the demolition with caution and breathing apparatus!
Thanks for the reply!
gary

Don't rely on the cheap, white filter dust masks. Spend the bucks to get a mask that will filter out mold spores. The dust masks barely work for dust alone.

I would never gut a house just because of mold. You need to identify the source of the moisture and fix that then clean up the mold. Mold doesn't usually require a gut job. Fix the roof and the grading, etc.

I assumed that gutting was due to remodeling not due to the mold.
Handguys has a point, mold remediation doesn't require a total gutting.
If it's that bad, then you might want to look for a different home,
There's plenty on the market without mold and maybe even for less than what your looking at spending.

I would never gut a house just because of mold. You need to identify the source of the moisture and fix that then clean up the mold. Mold doesn't usually require a gut job. Fix the roof and the grading, etc.

The gutting would be for updating more than for the mold. Most of these houses were built in the early 40's and 50's then used as vacation homes. All I have looked at have needed remodeling. I am looking for something to retire in and would do all the work now so there would be little to do later.

Thanks for the comments....gary

Latest posts

Back