quick way to trim the kitchen counter top

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gghrt000

Reaction score
I removed the old range and now purchasing a new range. Most of the ranges on the market has 29 3/4 to 30 inches width. I measured the remaining gap between the cabinets and was exactly 30 inch between the counter tops. AS it appears on the picture, counture is protruding slightly (~1/4-1/2 inch) more than the cabinet onto the stove area, so if I can trim that excess, I thought there might be more space to wiggle the new stove in otherwise it will be a hard fit.
Question is is there a quick and easy way to cut this without having to remove the counter top itself? Thanks!

PHOTO_20140123_005740[1].jpg

If this is granite I don't know if there is an easy way - an industrial grade diamond blade saw would be needed. You don't need much clearance for the stove. In our kitchen I have about 1/8" to spare on each side, if that. You can pull an electric range out easily by opening the door and grabbing the top of the range. Just make sure there are some nice sliders on the bottoms. Electric ranges are pretty light. So a29 3/4" stove would go in.

This would be real easy to mess up, when you think about what the granite is worth you might want to get a pro in, he would get it done in no time. I would have the stove on hand so it could be cut close to stove size.

thanks, at exactly, i was worried it might be very tight fit. Where should i go for cut? Will local machine shop might be able do it?

You want to go to someone that installs countertops or sells them. They can direct you to someone in your area.

Get somone with a strong back to give you a hand and try to set the stove in place before you get anyone cutting your countertop. It just might go in easier than you think.

Just my :2cents:

Select your stove and see if you even have an issue to start with.

I suspect you may have problems trying to find anyone to cut this in place.
The best they could do is grind it down but, again I suspect they will want to remove it as they are responsible for any damage.

Cutting it is no problem, having the tools to clean it up and make it smooth is another thing. A pro will do on site, like suggested just call the people who sell and install this stuff.

Back