Drywall meets door frame

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same problem. We are flipping a house right now. I have done most of the drywall in the house myself, in all three bedrooms, the living room, and the bathroom. I didnt know what I was doing, but I foresaw this problem when hanging drywall around the doors. I ran it up to about an inch from the door frame, and then took some scrap pieces of drywall and ripped one inch wide strips with the clean taper side at the end. I then attached the door molding and had a nice clean finish. However, for our kitchen we needed plumbing work done that I could not do, so we paid some contractors to do the job. We went ahead and had them hang the drywall during the project. in the kitchen and hallway. They ran the drywall over the door frame, and so I was wondering what to do. I really didnt want to have to cut the drywall back, but I guess thats what I may have to do. They did it in the kitchen and hallway with accounts for 7 doors (3 bedroom, 3 closet, 1 bathroom, and back door). I would have thought professional contractors would have known better. Is there any way to fix this without cutting the drywall back on all the doors?

I would do what you did before so it matches. They used to use J-bead or L-trim which gives you a clean edge but is not designed for trim work.

I know exactly what you are talking about, I have done the same thing with my house. I put drywall over existing drywall and took the door and window frames off first so that i could go right up to the edge of the window and door. now putting the frames back on leaves a crack under the door frame where you can see the drywall i just put on. I only used a 1/4" drywall though. so its not as bad.

Last edited:
jllillyscott; welcome to the site. If you add added 1/4 x 3/4 wood the the frames and drywalled to that you would have had a more finished look.

Back