Bathroom and Whole House Help!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilysMommy

Reaction score
We are redoing the bathroom in our rental condo, to put it up for sale. I'd like to make it look a little more update without replacing too much. The light bar will definitely be going, as will the brass toliet paper holder, and towel bar.

You can see the bathroom counter is kinda tanish. The kitchen has blue countertops, and the carpet is blue so I need colors that I can use throughout the whole down stairs.

I need to repaint all the cupboards in the bathrooms and kitchen so I need advice that will fit for both rooms. The kitchen is very small and closed in so I can't do anything too dramatic but right now they are white and I would like to change it. Also feel free give advice as far as flooring to be used in both the kitchen and bathroom.

The walls in the bathroom look rough we found out when we started taking down the wall paper that they didn't paint between that in the drywall, but I read we can just fix the touble areas with mud and then prime before painting.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

c.jpg

b.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

Welcome; You didn't say what the floor is now in the kitchen and bathroom. I would also look at changing the cupbaord hardware, hinges and knobs to match the faucets. I would aslo check with the big box stores to see how close you could get on off the shelf cupboard door to change them out. Your doors have been rabbeted in the back to accept the hinge but that style of hinge also comes with a flat back so slightly oversize doors can still work.

The floor is damaged linoleum both are white with blue in the design. I'm open to different types of flooring. Just looking for color ideas that can be used with blue counter and blue carpet without leaving everything white. We def plan on changing the knobs and hinges.

Small bathrooms are a challenge. To upgrade the look, remove the mirror and install one or two picture framed mirrors. You might even consider adding sconce lighting on either side.

The "look" now is dark espresso cabinets and light countertops. However, that can close-in the small bathroom. I would paint the cabinet bright gloss white and remove the pulls entirely or do as Neal said using small pulls to minimize the visual impact. The dark hardware is dated and ugly.

Please see this site for ideas on color options. http://ferchustar.blogspot.com/2013/09/attic-bathroom-attic-bathroom.html

For minimal expense, you can tile the floor. Be careful to leave something dark in the room to anchor the visual. All tan or all white is too monochromatic. .... Oh, the walls? Rip off the wall paper and skim coat the walls (light skip trowel). Prime and paint to coordinate.

BATH.jpg

For small bathrooms, the good thing is that since the space is small, it wont cost a lot to make it look nice.
Flooring- One solution is to install tile. If the floor is a single layer of linoleum over the subfloor, you could remove the vanity and toilet, use rock board and screw to the floor appropriately. Then install ceramic tile. If you want the cheap way out, use linoleum tiles which no one uses anymore but hey, it is a rental. The ceramic is extremely durable.
Go online or to ikea and purchase a bathroom set for cheap. If not, piece together a vanity, mirror set online or at home depot

Back