Insulating the roof edge?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle

Reaction score
What is the point of putting sofits here? wouldn't it be better to fill it with insulation?

I think they call this part of the roof , the roof ladder or the rake?

roof ladder.jpg

Insolation is for between warm and cold so there would be no benafit, vented soffit is what is used there.

Correct me if I'm wrong Neal, but isn't the outside rafter called the "Fly Rafter" on the rake edge like that?

How much overhang do you have on the rake edge jungle? there should be a constant 1/2" running top to bottom past your drip edge on the side.

Looking at the picture I'm wondering if there is a rake fascia board with a drip edge on there. These are installed before the roof shingles. The rake soffit doesn't need to be vented.

Yup there is some overhang shingle there. Not finished this area yet, i guess i need to rent a 30ft ladder. It's probably better to put insulation like roxual that does not rot. It should keep cold out of that space that will transfer to the house, corners are always transfer spots.

Well there is firt for anything.
I don`t see a fascia on the rake, how will hide the edge of the soffet.

Again....looking at the picture, it looks like you shingled the roof before you trimmed it out. No trim or drip edge on the rake or eaves. That's not good.

The overhang on the gable end should have been open to the attic.Then you could have installed a vented soffit and ran the j channel for the siding up to it.Ventilating the attic in place of sealing it.Hard to tell from the angle of the pics what you have done.The overhang should never be insulated.It should have vents to work with a ridge vent or such to ventilate the attic space.

The way he has it looks like it is ventilated really good right now.

The reason he did it like that is too piss me off and then if i tried to short pay him i'd be stuck with a weird problem to fix in the end.

Just gonna toe nail it in and slide the drip cap under that last little spot. And i'm gonna fix myself just to piss him off!
This is more $20 a hour than $30 a hour job anyways. Putting those little sofits in takes so long, one by one.

The overhang on the gable end should have been open to the attic.Then you could have installed a vented soffit and ran the j channel for the siding up to it.Ventilating the attic in place of sealing it.Hard to tell from the angle of the pics what you have done.The overhang should never be insulated.It should have vents to work with a ridge vent or such to ventilate the attic space.

This area is seldom open to the attic in any meaningfull way any you want your venting to go from the soffet to the ridge to move heat away from the outside wall, open to the attic and vented would short cercuit the system like gable vents do.

For $150 an hour you hire a contractor, for $30 you hire an employee and you are the boss. Sounds like the blind leading the blind or dumb and dumber.

This area is seldom open to the attic in any meaningfull way any you want your venting to go from the soffet to the ridge to move heat away from the outside wall, open to the attic and vented would short cercuit the system like gable vents do.
Neal:eek:f course your correct.I explained it badly.We always run vented soffit on the eaves and finish the fascia and soffits on the gable ends to match.Still no reason to insualate an overhang on a gable.
Rained out and a few beers with the guys before posting.

Last edited:
The reason is simple. That truss is part of the house so it is losing heat. You never thought of it before because of habit.

No.I never thought of it before because I have been building homes for 40 years and have never seen it done that way.Your attic should be ventilated from the soffits on the eaves thru the top of the roof in some matter.Why insulate the overhang on the gable?
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

He will have thermal transfer whether he insulates it or not. Transfer will occur where the ceiling joist attaches to the roof deck, but it's his house and he can do as he pleases. Its just my opinion that, heat loss is the least of his worries.

Only way to reduce transfer is uncouple the interior and exterior of the house envelope.

Back