Floor Insulation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krm944

Reaction score
In the attached photo, I want to remove the existing floor and floor joists in the room behind the stove and replace. The two floors are not level with each other and the existing floor is a bit spongy. This floor is over a crawl space and I would like to insulate it while I am there. This is the future kitchen and plumbing and heating ducts will be installed as well.

How can I insulate from the top?

Kyle

Must have been the beer or the computer....honestly wasnt my fault!

behind stove.jpg

Hello KRM:
You can put spring wires under the insulation batts. Just put the wires in place then lay the batts on them.
I am concerned about the clearance of the wood stove from the wall. There is a brass plate on the stove that tells the required clearances and shows the UL label. If it is not there you may not be able to get insurance on the house.
Glenn

Glennjanie,

Would I need to use a faced insulation? With facing up to the warm side of the floor?

This stove will be rotated 180 degress from its current position. The studs shown are temporary until the contractor frames a structural beam and an arch is built.

Kyle

Hello Kyle:
Yes, faced insulation would work just fine and keep the face to the top or to the floor.
You have eased my mind about the stove. They are great to have as long as you live.
Glenn

Not to put a damper on the parade, but have you thought about the mice?
They love insulation and tear through it as much as possible, that pink stuff is comfy for them. The wires will hold it up, but installing some scrap plywood or other stuff you find will help . I know it is a lot of work, but you get to think about it. DO not use plastic, it is a vapor barrier and would be in the wrong spot.
Dont forget this is a crawl space, you only want to do this once.

Must have been the beer or the computer....
Can we vote on this because my vote is the beer! :D lol

Seriously, looks like an interesting project. Is there enough room to move around in the crawlspace? If not, give careful consideration to the location of the plumbing so that it can be repaired if it leaks in the future.
hth, Doug

Last edited:
Back