Waiting on treated wood to dry?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blburson

Reaction score
Hello Members,
I have questions regarding treated wood you can get from Home Depot, Loews, etc. When I bought the wood (not sure what type) it obviously was freshly teated, very moist. I asked the paint clerks at both Home Depot and Loews and they but said to wait a month before I put Kilz on it, the treatment has to soak into the wood. The wood has been on my house now for 1 1/2 weeks. It looks, feels dry but I'm hesitant to do anything to it yet. I know my neighbors are ready for me to paint, they're probably tired of looking at it too but I don't wanna screw it up. Should I wait a full month? It was also suggested that I use the oil based Kilz on it even though I painting with 100% Acrylic for the Hardie. Any suggetions? I'd certainly appreciate it

Thank you.

I went through the same ordeal this summer. Technically, you should wait several months before applying any type of finish.
Yea, I know it's hard to stare at an unfinished job and have the neighbors wondering what the hold up is but, your better off doing it right the first time because to fix it is more difficult than doing it patiently.

Welcome BLBurson:
You live in a sub-tropical climate and the long wait is not so necessary. The treatment will not soak in any more than it is now, you just need the surface water to dry up before painting.
Oil based paint cures and bonds differently than latex or acrylic. The oil base just flattens out and relaxes while the others grip the surface and pull at it; as if you put your hand on a piece of paper on your desktop and wad the paper up. With that in mind you don't want to put the two types of paint together because the acrylic will pull the primer off.
I had a new deck built last fall and it was painted in a couple of weeks (very dry weather) with 2 coats of latex paint. It still looks great without a peel or bubble on the job.
Glenn

Thank very much for the help. I really appreciate the information.

Back