Need a Contractors License?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

License Guru

Got ?'s I have Answers
Reaction score
Hello All.

If you are in need of, or ever thought about getting your california contractors license... I can help.

Do you have licensing questions? I have answers.

It is a bit ridiculous here. Five hundred is awful low as a limit for unlicensed work. At least the weather is nice.

For a while there I was thinking that I was living in Seattle again!

You must have a California contractors license when total cost for the project (including all of the contractors) exceeds $500. My friend got cited eventhough his contract was under $500.

You must have a California contractors license when total cost for the project (including all of the contractors) exceeds $500. My friend got cited eventhough his contract was under $500.

Are you serious? how can you perform work under $500 if you don't know how much other contractors charged your customer. It is not fair.

Are you serious? how can you perform work under $500 if you don't know how much other contractors charged your customer. It is not fair.

Welcome to the site: this is a really old post but I think he ment all the different contractors like framing, plumbing and elect. etc. All working on one site.

What was the citation for? Perhaps the cslb thought the cost of the project was under valued and they believed the unlicensed contractor was trying to evade the license requirement.

No. They specifically gave him citation because he was working for an owner builder and all of the work combined on the project was over $500, but his part was under $500. I think that they are trying to make it harder for owners/builders to split big projects into $500. On the other hand, it is super difficult to prove your self-employed experience in order to get a license.

Even though they give out citations and perform sting operations, unlicensed contractors still take a risk because it is difficult to abide by rules of CSLB.

Back